Argos were embarking on a significant period of change - a new digital age for their stores and the way they work.
‘The new world’ at Argos included two important changes that employees needed to embrace:
1. ‘Voice Pick’ - a process for collecting stock from the back warehouse.
2. ‘Hub and Spoke’ - a system for delivery of stock from larger to smaller stores.
It was important for employees to understand and care about the new processes and really get behind the change. But with large numbers of employees working on the shop floor, without regular access to many communication channels, it was a challenge to connect with them in a meaningful and engaging way.
We worked closely with Argos’ Central Operations Director, to build a ‘bottom up’ approach. Argos wanted to generate enthusiasm and excitement about the ‘stores of the future’, and we knew that targeting shop floor colleagues would be a powerful way to spread key messages across the business.
Argos nominated a ‘Team Transformer’ from each store to be an ambassador for change. For this approach to work, Team Transformers needed to be real advocates, curious and respected by their colleagues. Once selected, they each attended a four day programme, in parallel to their Store Managers, developing skills to help them work with their own peers, guiding and keeping them motivated through the change journey.
It was important that the experience didn’t end after the four-day programme. We wanted the enthusiasm and learning to spread and continue. Working closely with Argos, we developed tailored branding and a programme identity. We wanted this programme to be the talk of the organisation. We equipped the Team Transformers and Store Managers with two important tools, as part of their roles as ambassadors for change.
1) Transformation Toolkit
This included all programme content, plus prompts for further reflection and application.
2) Transformation Toolbox
A physical box containing materials and equipment for seven different activities that Team Transformers could run with colleagues and bespoke each activity to suit their needs.
- Programme rolled out to 1550 employees across 734 stores in 10 weeks meaning changes in stores have landed on time and right first time.
- Over 90% delegates were quite or extremely satisfied with the training provided on the programme.
- As a result of the voice pick and hub and spoke changes, sales increased by 2-3%.
- Following the programme success, the next evolution, the ‘Navigators’ programme, has started, helping to further embed the change.
Award Winning Programme
The Team Transformers programme has been awarded Silver in The Brandon Hall Excellence awards in the ‘Best learning programme to support a change transformation.