Q&A with Annmarie Zehntner
1. What’s your favourite way to answer the question ‘what do you do?’
I’m passionate about helping individuals, teams and leaders be the best that they can be.
2. What is your approach to finding a work-life balance?
I ensure I spend time with the important people in my life, get fun things booked in at the start of each year, and ensure I have pamper time!
3. Describe in three words what makes a good leader
Empathy, Vision, Authenticity
4. If you could remote-work from any country in the world, where would it be?
Australia – it's where I spent my honeymoon, so it’s a special place.
5. Which culture, philosophy, or way of life - that is different to yours - do you most admire?
The Buddhist way - it's about spiritual development, finding meaning in what you do and becoming more self aware.
6. Who was your favourite teacher, role model or mentor when growing-up?
My biology and netball teacher– she really believed in me, and was there when I needed her – I felt she cared, and listened, and tried to understand me to get the best out of me. She pushed me, and helped me realise my potential.
7. What, or who, was your biggest inspiration when choosing your career route?
A mentor I had when I was on my Retail Management Programme – she was Head of L&D, and I admired her way with people, how she was so encouraging about our development, how she stretched and challenged us, and although I didn’t realise at the time what it was - she had great coaching skills.
8. Which area of your consulting work do you find the most interesting, and why?
Working with teams to help them work out how they can work better together. Sometime this gets into some difficult territory, which can be challenging but really rewarding at the end of the ‘ team journey’.
9. What are the top 3 personal skills that leaders need to possess, or develop, to lead their organisation into the future?
1. Trust in their people
2. Be brave - know when to change/adapt
3. Show vulnerability at times – be human
10. If you could go back in time and give your 16-year-old self advice, what would it be?
Be comfortable in your own skin, don’t take life too seriously, believe in yourself, and do your best.
11. If you were stranded on a desert island and were only allowed three items, what would they be?
A photo of my family, Take That tunes and lipstick.
12. What’s the number one thing you want to accomplish during your time on Earth?
To see my kids happy in their lives.