Q&A with Duncan Lewin
1. What’s your favourite way to answer the question ‘what do you do?’
“Helping people improve their working lives.” It really does resonate with me!
2. What is your approach to finding a work-life balance?
Taking time to prioritise, keeping firm boundaries when needed and making sure the give and take feels in equilibrium.
3. Describe in three words what makes a good leader
Self-awareness, openness and humility
4. If you could remote-work from any country in the world, where would it be?
Cuba – such a magical and relaxed place to be.
5. Which culture, philosophy, or way of life - that is different to yours - do you most admire?
Certain Eastern cultures for their respect and patience.
6. Who was your favourite teacher, role model or mentor when growing-up?
A-level Economics teacher; brought the subject to life and helped take something theoretical and make it interesting and applicable.
7. What, or who, was your biggest inspiration when choosing your career route?
This is my second career – after being a chartered accountant initially – and my biggest inspiration was the idea that I really could find a job and vocation I feel passionate about, which I very much am!
8. Which area of your consulting work do you find the most interesting, and why?
Coaching others and building coaching skills in leaders; you never stop learning, growing or developing as a coach and it is also a real growth field in human understanding.
9. What are the top 3 personal skills that leaders need to possess, or develop, to lead their organisation into the future?
Emotional intelligence, intuition, appropriate assertiveness.
10. If you could go back in time and give your 16-year-old self advice, what would it be?
Your mind and its creativity is absolutely limitless.
11. If you were stranded on a desert island and were only allowed three items, what would they be and why?
Paper and pen to write down my thoughts, and a stereo to play all the terrible music I like.
12. What’s the number one thing you want to accomplish during your time on Earth?
Developing and growing on an emotional level, whilst also having great relationships.