Q&A with Elaine White
1. What’s your favourite way to answer the question ‘what do you do?’
I help leaders in organisations get the best out of themselves and others.
2. What is your approach to finding a work-life balance?
Planning and diary management. Having lots of enjoyable non-work activities to look forward to and having great friends to do them with.
3. Describe in three words what makes a good leader
Enthusiasm, empathy and humility.
4. If you could remote-work from any country in the world, where would it be?
Sweden – love the lifestyle and interior design (including IKEA!)
5. Which culture, philosophy, or way of life - that is different to yours - do you most admire?
Scandinavian – because of their values around people and society.
6. Who was your favourite teacher, role model or mentor when growing-up?
A friend who I met when I was about 11 - she was 5 years older than me. She’s still my friend and mentor 49 years on!
7. What, or who, was your biggest inspiration when choosing your career route?
I read an article in the careers office about the Personnel profession and liked the sound of it. I was attracted to following a profession rather than just getting a job.
8. Which area of your consulting work do you find the most interesting, and why?
I like to convert the best theoretical research into accessible and practical tools for managers.
9. What are the top 3 personal skills that leaders need to possess, or develop, to lead their organisation into the future?
Learning mindset, inclusivity and courage.
10. If you could go back in time and give your 16-year-old self advice, what would it be?
Don’t be deferential – be bold!
11. If you were stranded on a desert island and were only allowed three items, what would they be and why?
Shampoo, champagne and a sharp knife – a blend of practical and the indulgent – how I like to live my life!
12. What’s the number one thing you want to accomplish during your time on Earth?
Bring up happy and confident children (and grandchildren).