Where has your passion for performance come from?
I had the opportunity to train for, and be coached to, the highest level of performance in the Modern Pentathlon team over a 12-year period. This experience developed many of the characteristics of the high performer in me: hunger to learn, ability to focus under pressure, using goals as a source of motivation, etc. It also gave me insights into the shadow side of pressure and how to handle myself when I was at a low ebb.
What gives organisations the winning edge?
Organisations that are able to manage the maximum amount of change possible and at pace are winning organisations. To manage change that is sustainable and enriches the lives of everyone involved is very difficult. Moving at pace while growing in size and complexity is equally tough.
- British champion at senior and junior levels in Modern Pentathlon and Epeé fencing
- Olympic bronze medallist, Modern Pentathlon 1988
- Team manager for multi-medal winning GB Modern Pentathlon team at the last five Olympic Games, part of a successful World Class Talent programme
- Appointed MBE in 2014 Honours list for services to Modern Pentathlon
- 12 years in the British Army rising to the rank of Major, including operational tours in FYR Bosnia and two years as a Leadership Development Instructor at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst
- 3 years’ commercial project delivery experience working on major international sports events
- 20 years of leadership development, organisational change consulting and executive coaching
- Vice President, Pentathlon GB.(NED since 2001)
- Lane4 Executive Chairman
- BSc Economics (Hons); MSc in Organisational Change (Distinction)